A course for puppies from 16 weeks to 6 months, or by arrangement with Morag. These classes cover basic life skills such as not jumping up, coming when called, walking on a loose leash, giving up stolen items and important socialisation opportunities.
These classes follow on from our Puppy Foundations course, or a socialisation class/puppy party you may have attended with your veterinary practice.
We use motivational training methods incorporating toy, food and environmental rewards alongside reward marking/clickers. We will not use harsh or aversive techniques.
- Getting and keeping your dog's attention
- How to use reward markers and food/toys/praise
- Food manners
- Handling/grooming and mouthing
- Meeting and greeting other people, other dogs etc..
- Recall (coming when called) even if there are distractions
- Appropriate play with dogs and humans
- Loose leash walking
- Building confidence
- How to relax and settle down
- Basic positions (sit/down/stand)
- Staying in one place when asked
- Tricks and games from giving a paw, to rolling over in a blanket to walking backwards
Suggested reading (available in class):
- “100 Ways to Train the Perfect Dog” by Sarah Fisher and Marie Miller
- “Unlock Your Dog's Potential” by Sarah Fisher – a great book that goes beyond just thinking about training your dog
- “After you get your puppy” by Ian Dunbar, available to download as a free pdf (see resources)
- “Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training” Pam Dennison
You can now register online for training classes.
Jo Smith from York
What I'm sure the boys would like to put is:
"WE LOVE YOU MORAG!" - Jake Dog and Mr Oliver
....but a more practical response would be: Before we met Morag we were at breaking point with our Border Collies, we had been to every training class we could find, we had done everything the dog books tell you to and we were still losing the battle for our dogs' minds.
Morag has given us practical techniques, productive classes, insightful one-to-ones, useful resources, moral support and hope!
Having come through the confidence course 1 & 2 and enjoyed the Beyond the Basics, heel work to music and Rally-O we are carrying on to learn more and can't wait for the next set of classes to start. We would (and often do) recommend the Well Connected Canine courses to anyone with any kind of dog.
Sarah, Oscar Pet Foods from York
Who says you can't teach a old dog new tricks? Our Jack Russell is 5 and had had no training, after just a few weeks she had a whole repertoire of new tricks. Edwina goes with my partner to work everyday so I don't get to spend much time with her. Morag's classes are our fun hour of the week where she enjoys learning new things with mum and seeing other dogs. Thanks Morag we'll see you at the next classes.